Planning for the Surviving Spouse
Thursday December 6
3:00 PM EDT 4:30 PM EDT
The Best Laid Plans…Planning for the Surviving Spouse: In his exclusive LISI webinar, Paul Hood will cover a panoply of selected issues that arise in estate planning for surviving spouses. Paul will cover planning in a positive light vis-a-vis the real, long-term best interests of the surviving spouse, in both financial and control issues, at all times, i.e., while both spouses are alive, both during the surviving spouse’s overlife as well as the surviving spouse’s estate. In particular, he will discuss:
· After a cautionary word about estate planning paradigms and poor habits, he’ll examine the importance of overlife planning while both spouses are still alive.
· Then he’ll address the practical realities of why many surviving spouses fail to take advantage of making large gifts after the first spouse’s death and whether gifting is even natural.
· After that, he’ll consider the benefits of lifetime gifting.
· He’ll then dive into the all important cash flow analysis, and we’ll consider the components of in-flows and out-flows and why value only estate planning often falls short of the mark.
· Paul will examine the various types of spousal bequests, together with the pro’s and con’s of each.
· After that, he’ll consider the marital deduction and the various ways to achieve it.
· Along the way, he’ll address a number of QTIP issues.
· He’ll take up the impact of valuation discounts and premiums on spousal planning.
· He’ll discuss issues that can arise as the surviving spouse ages, including the possible need to discontinue grantor trust status because the income tax was becoming onerous.
· Finally, he’ll discuss issues around the use or lapse of powers of appointment
There will be no CE for this webinar
For those who have a conflict with the date/time, The session will be recorded. Simply register and you will have unlimited access to the recording.
Although they are scheduled for a particular time and date - once purchased - they can be viewed at ANY TIME!.
If you are not a LISI member please use the Buy Now Button below to pay the non-member price of $129.
After you pay you will be sent a link with the registration information. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: To pay using a credit card, use the botton labeled
"Pay with Debit or Credit Card" after clicking the Buy Now button below.
If you are a LISI member, please login below to receive the member price of $99 for this webinar.
A native of Louisiana (and a double LSU Tiger), Paul Hood obtained his undergraduate and law degrees from Louisiana State University and an LL.M. in taxation from Georgetown University Law Center before settling down to practice tax and estate planning law in the New Orleans area. Paul has taught at the University of New Orleans, Northeastern University, The University of Toledo College of Law and Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law. The proud father of two Eagle Scouts and LSU Tigers, Paul has authored or co-authored seven books and hundreds of professional articles on estate and tax planning and business valuation. He was with The University of Toledo Foundation for over four years as Director of Planned Giving, leaving in January 2018. He can be contacted at